Sunday 5 October 2014

WHO GETS THE VOTE?

These are stirring times, politically speaking. Scotland's independence referendum. Talk of a possible in/out vote on Europe. The rise of Ukip, and a General Election on the horizon. It all seems to give added significance to the ballot box. Scotland, of course, has already had one vote. But in terms of the upcoming General Election, I keep asking myself: who do I vote for?
I know who I have voted for in the past, but this time it feels different. And I also know at least two parties I will not vote for. But it is not a decision to be taken quickly because it feels as though all the main parties have moved so close together, in some respects, that radicalism has all but disappeared and trades unions banished to the periphery. Thus for the moment the future does not look particularly pretty, because a zero-hours contract England could also find itself, politically at least, isolated and alone. So, what do I want?
I want to see the Union survive, perhaps with more devolved powers.
I want to remain in Europe, because I'm sure we are better served in than out and because I want to see industrial and work-time rights and regulations, including the minimum wage and human rights, stay on the statute book.
I want to see a serious attempt to solve the housing crisis, meaning more affordable homes and maybe even new council houses. And how about some modern prefabs?
I want multinationals, offshore companies, top bosses and wealthy bankers taxed to the hilt. After all, if you trade here then you pay your taxes here, surely. And I want small businesses to receive far more encouragement.
I want the gap between the top-echelon rich and the debt-ridden poor narrowed considerably.
I don't want 'choice' in the NHS, I want the nearest facilities to offer the best care possible. Clearly, the NHS needs better funding, even if it means patients paying for their meals, etc.
I'd like to see hospital and school 'league' tables scrapped; regular competitive sports brought back into the curriculum; and religion-based school slowly absorbed into the mainstream.
I'd like wind, heat pumps and solar energy sources promoted more strongly, so that 'green' input into the national grid reaches a higher percentage, with the balance covered by the construction of (as few as possible) new nuclear power stations.
And I want to see utilities (many of which we once owned, remember) brought back into public ownership. Quite why we have sold the silverware and the silverware cupboard I don't know, but I certainly want the current flow of privatisation schemes - hardly any of which have actually improved anything for users, or workers - halted and reversed.
And I want more concensus politics. Surely there is a case for taking at least the NHS and Education out of the political arena completely, so that sensible ten-year planning can hold sway.
Mind you, all of that is just for starters.
Meanwhile, which party to I vote for? The important thing is to vote, of course, because those who don't vote, or who say they can't be bothered, should not expect their subsequent grumbles to be listened to with any degree of sympathy or seriousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment